- PATTERNS For Sale
- CONTRACT - Blank Form For Download
- BackPack Show
- WORKSHOP - Double Disappearing 9-Patch Variations
- WORKSHOP - Premeditated Improv ... three days of workshops that work together ... or independently!
- WORKSHOP - Surviving January
- I Have Something to Say - words in my quilts
- Artist's Bio
Tuesday, 30 July 2019
"Be a Man": Reflections on Masculinity, Part One
“Be A Man": Reflections on Masculinity, Part One
I hated high school Gym class, especially the change room.
I remember the Jocks who paraded confidently around the room wearing only their jockstrap, flicking each other with towels.
They knew how to ‘man up’.
Me, changing in the darkest corner I could find … not so much … and I was told so constantly.
For years, the jockstrap was a reminder of my fear that I’d never be a ‘man’.
Now, I understand the myth of ‘manning up’, and I know that I am ‘man enough’!
And the jockstrap has a new role in my community … not so much for sport, but rather for play. I’m comfortable with that.
I dyed all of the fabric for this quilt.
The background construction is a Double Disappearing Nine Patch Variation.
Along with the blue background, it includes colours from both the gay pride and the trans pride flags.
Quilted by Deanna Gaudaur, quintestudios.com .