Skip to main content

Modern Quilts 2016: International Quilt Festival/Chicago

It's Clouds' Illusions I Recall.  I Really Don't Know Clouds, At All. 

This quilt was selected for inclusion in the special exhibit Modern Quilts 2016: International Quilt Festival/Chicago.

I am thrilled!  The exhibit was open to quilters in the US Midwest, plus Manitoba and Ontario.  They were looking for quilts that put a modern twist on the traditional Drunkards' Path quilt block.


Artist's Statement ...

Quilt making is very personal for me. Each quilt tells a part of my life story. 

When I set out to explore the Drunkard's Path block', I found that I couldn't get Flying Geese out of my head, so, I created a block that I call Flying Drunkards. The flying drunkards are made with my own hand dyed fabric. I had a good time growing this quilt.

But as I worked on this quilt, I realized that it is a reflection of my life and the memories of my life; an attempt to make sense of it all. It has been a colourful life, somewhat disjointed, often a bit chaotic, but so much of what I remember is hazed over, as if by clouds. I know that it has been a good life ... I think ... but all that I can see are clouds. 

It seems that after all these years, Joni Mitchell had said it all ... It's cloud's illusions I recall. I really don't know clouds, at all.

Comments