Skip to main content

The Quilt as Art // I will be silent no more.

This is what took up much of my time in 2022. 
There were 20 quilts in the show.
Five of them sold.
The rest are still available.
Scroll through this post to see them all!


Here are the quilts with their artist’s statements …


Reclaiming Pride: a Gay Bedspread

2020

Commercial cotton, cotton batik

83”h x 70”w

SOLD

This is a ‘word quilt’, but the words are in Morse Code. My goal was to take hateful words thrown at me as a gay man, own them, and then turn them into something beautiful … to take away their power. This quilt simply and beautifully states … ‘Two f*gg*ts sleep here’.


Words Found on the Back of a Painting by a Non-binary Trans Artist

2020

Commercial cotton, raw edge appliqué

63”h x 59”w

A feeling of not fitting in, has been a factor for much of my life. I’m not Trans. I don’t identify as non-binary in a binary world.  And I was born in my ‘right’ body.  To think about this ‘wish’ made by a non-binary artist, moves me to tears. 




January 5th

2021

Recycled clothing, commercial cotton, acrylic house paint

52”h x 54”w

SOLD

On January 5th, 2021, my Doctor phoned to tell me that I had Liver Cancer. It was in the midst of the Pandemic. That was how things were done. I heard ‘Cancer’, but little else. My brain, my body, my being ceased to function for a moment, as if I had been slammed against a wall.






His Name is Clarence

2021

Commercial cotton, cotton batik

72”h x 60”w

When Doctors found a tumour in my liver, it almost took over my life, and certainly did my focus. To counter that negativity, and to take away some of its power, I named my tumour Clarence. I gave him a personality and let him bring humour into my life. He was soon zapped and mostly gone, but for a while, we had fun with him.





Canada Day, 2021

2021

Commercial cotton, hand-dyed cotton, cursive writing quilting

72”h x 55”w 

Shortly before Canada Day, 2021, the remains of 215 children buried on the site of Kamloops Residential School were discovered. This was just the beginning. 

On July 1st, I couldn’t bring myself to decorate the front of our house with the usual red and white. Instead, I displayed this quilt. 

It is 215 pieces of orange fabric, quilted with the text from the United Nations definition of Genocide.

 

** A portion of the proceeds from the sale of this piece to support All Welcome Here, PEC.





It’s All About the Journey

2300

Recycled fabric, recycled quilt top, commercial cotton, cotton batik

64”h x 62”w

A friend gifted me an old, faded, and somewhat ragged quilt top. It had obviously been made with love using recycled fabric, but it had never been finished into a quilt. I knew that there was more to its story; its journey. And as I worked with it, its story began to include me. Now, it’s about our journey.





Finding Comfort in the Unknown

2021

Japanese yarn dyed cotton, commercial shot cotton, linen, silk, commercial, cotton

66”h x 60”w

In the two weeks before my transplant, when I needed something to occupy my head, my heart and my hands, I pieced this quilt. I used primarily Japanese yarn dyed fabric that I knew would soften and fray, and a technique similar to Boro mending. While my daughter and I were in our surgeries, my quilter quilted it. Indeed, washing softened and frayed it perfectly. There is comfort in this quilt.





Finding Comfort in Dying

2021

Japanese yarn dyed cotton, commercial shot cotton, linen, silk, commercial, cotton

67”h x 61”w

I used my head and my heart to calm my emotions during the weeks that I lived with a terminal diagnosis. While calming, they also brought me to a place of comfort.

I have loved, and been loved. Generously.

I have cared and nurtured, and I have experienced the same from others.

I have been kind and giving, and I have known the kindness of others.

In my life, my focus has been on creating positive energy, and positive people have surrounded me.

I have laughed lots, and I have made others laugh.





2021

2022

Commercial fabric, hand-dyed cotton

31”h x 31”w (irregular)

SOLD

2021. A year that I’ll never forget. Covid. A terminal diagnosis. Glimmers of hope. A generous gift. Life saving surgery. Growing hope. Reclaiming love. Reshaping my life. Always with gratitude.





Nothing Fits Any More, But I’m Still Beautiful

2022

Commercial cotton, shweshwe cotton

30”h x 40”w (irregular)

My beauty is about so much more than my body shape and size and the clothes that it fits into. I thank you for seeing just my beauty, and not what society has taught you to see.





FLIP: another gay bedspread

2850

Commercial cotton, hand-dyed cotton

116”h x 100”w (a generous queen size)

I had so much fun working on this quilt. It is a word quilt using Morse Code. One side of the bedspread says TOP. The other side says BOTTOM.  The word VERSATILE stretches across the top and the bottom borders.  Flip the quilt lengthwise on the bed and TOP and BOTTOM are flipped as well … on the quilt. 😉

And I love that it turned out to be a ‘generous queen’ size!

 




People Have the Power, eh!

2022

Commercial cotton, cotton batik

62”h x 53”w

As I observed the loss of what I see as basic human rights and freedoms south of the border, I became filled with terror at the thought that this trend might spread to Canada. In the midst of this feeling of terror, I watched a video of Patti Smith singing, ‘People Have the Power’ (follow the QR Code). This song reminded me that stopping the trend; protecting our Canadian values, is up to us all! We have the power. Let’s use it! 





Not Drowning

2022

Commercial cotton, hand-dyed cotton

63”h x 56”w

Sometimes, my bouts with depression bring dreams of drowning; the sensation of drowning. 

I actually feel myself sinking deeper and deeper until there is barely a glimmer of light at the surface. 

And it just feels right.

But only until my lungs swell and I think they’re going to explode.

Then terror sets in. 

At what seems like the last minute, I am drawn to the light and I swim toward it.

First one kick and then another.

The kicks come faster as the light gets brighter. 

And I break the surface gasping for air, sputtering out far more water than I thought I had swallowed. 

Always it is just in time. 

And always I am glad to be alive.

 

This quilt is about that feeling of NOT drowning; of floating in the light instead.

I know that I will sink again. 





The Jokes on Them

2022

Commercial cotton

64”h x 55”w

This quilt is based on Brandi Carlile’s song, ‘The Joke’. 

My own life experience bears out the words from its chorus … ‘I have been to the movies, I've seen how it ends, and the joke's on them’.

This quilt is dedicated to the multitudes of us who made it … in spite of the teasing, the name calling, the put downs, the harassing, the bullying and the beating that we received growing up … just for being different; just for being us. 

And it is a reminder to those going through it now that it gets better!





Before I Made Quilts

2021

Unfinished quilt top, recycled work clothes, commercial cotton

65”h x 607”w (irregular)

The events of 2021 gave me a sense of just how brief my own life is in the continuum of time. I needed a context; some history to put my apparent insignificance into a bigger context. I had started this quilt some time ago. 2021 convinced me to finish it.

The centre blocks were made by my Grandmother in the 1960s and early 1970’s.  Each piece sparks a memory; a story. My part comes from adding tattered work clothes from my days as a sheep farmer. Some ancient Japanese fabric gifted by a dear friend adds even more depth.

I am just a tiny part of something so much bigger. And it’s important for me to remember that.





Thirty Dead and Counting … Systemic White Racism in Canada

2020

Hand-dyed cotton, silk, linen, wool, discharged fabric, marker, commercial cotton

72”h x 72”w 

I will never again accept ‘tsk tsk’ from Canadians responding to racism in the US. 

Racism is alive and well in our own country, and we need to talk about it!

When I started this quilt, I knew that I wanted to address systemic racism, as I began my own education as a privileged, gay, white, male. I knew that I needed to learn, and I needed to change. 

In order to get a better sense of the Canadian reality,  I purchased the Audible version of Desmond Cole’s book, ‘The Skin We’re In: A Year of Black Resistance and Power’. 

As I listened to him reading his book, I wept openly. Somehow, as an apparently well informed Canadian, I had no idea that this is reality in my own country. 

This quilt, and my shame, grew as I worked and listened to Mr. Cole’s words.

Written on this quilt, are the names of the last thirty Black, Indigenous, and People Of Colour (BIPOC) killed by police, or who died while in police custody in Canada. 

In the bottom corner is a link to Desmond Cole’s blog where the names are listed, with individual links, so that you can read their stories.

Above that is a link to a CBC documentary by Charles Officer and Desmond Cole, ‘The Skin We’re In’.

Please follow the links.

#saytheirnames #knowtheirstories #blacklivesmatter

 

** A portion of the proceeds from the sale of this piece to support All Welcome Here, PEC.

 




I Can’t Keep Quiet. For Anyone. Not Anymore.

2022

Commercial cotton, raw edge appliqué 

59”h x 59”w

This quilt is inspired by a recording of Milck singing her song ‘Quiet’ with 1300 voices in a Choir, Choir, Choir YouTube video (follow the QR Code). The song deals with coming to terms with past sexual abuse; speaking out about it.  Healing from it.  Listening to this inspired me to tell my own story. Through telling my story, I learned to see myself as a survivor of childhood sexual abuse, after years of feeling a victim. Talk about it folks. It might help others. And it will help you.





The Power of One: Gender Fluidity 

2019

Commercial cotton

63”h x 63”w

This quilt is one large double disappearing nine patch block. It is about the power of one and the responsibility to speak your truth, even if your voice shakes; to make a difference.

It also speaks to the rights of trans folk and the fluidity of gender.

Trans folk are among the most 'at risk' individuals in our community. Your voice can help that change. Speak up for trans rights. Be inclusive in your language. Challenge transphobia.

It matters folks. It really matters.





A Celebration of Pride

2021

Cotton shweshwe fabric

80”h x 71”w

SOLD

This quilt is constructed with fair-traded, traditionally made, Shweshwe fabric from South Africa and uses a variation of a double disappearing nine patch block in its construction. It is rugged, straight forward, and beautiful … just the way that I like my men. And it makes me smile with pride!





Be the Pebble. Make the Wave.

2022

Cotton

72”h x 60”w

SOLD

This is my new mantra and what we all must do when we see social injustices!







Comments